Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Milwaukee real estate: just something to think about

Here's a little exercise I did when too tired to do anything else.

Import 2007 residential sales data for 7th aldermanic district into Excel. Wonder why the 2007 data goes only through May. Ponder that for a moment, move on.

Import 2006 residential sales data for 7th aldermanic district into Excel. Compare the first five months of the two years.

No. of sales in 2007: 155
No. of sales in 2006: 299

Average sales price 2007: $96,264
Average sales price 2006: $99,074

Not good news. And as sales and values drop in some areas in the city, what do you think will happen to property taxes in others?

5 comments:

capper said...

You do this while you're bored or tired. Where do I sign up for lessons?

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the residential sales info - I'd like to try and ask my Ald. why the data stops after May

Gretchen Schuldt said...

Sales information is posted at
http://assessments.milwaukee.gov/mainsales.html

3rd way said...

I hope you don't mind but I stole your research technique and used it in a post at Folkbum.

I really appreciate your blog. In my opinion you are doing some of the best work around. But if you continue to reveal the tricks of the professionals us amateurs will continue to glean ;-)

Gretchen Schuldt said...

Thanks for your kind words. I saw your post earlier -- a 4% decline in a happening place like Bay View is quite scary. Now it is up to the politicians and community leaders -- will they raise property tax rates? Will they cut services? It is a terribly difficult position to be in. I don't envy them.

Sharing information is what the Internet is all about, so go to it!