Sunday, October 15, 2006

Reynolds camp can't get its story straight on utility charges

Tom Reynolds used his campaign funds to pay utility bills for the "campaign headquarters" in his home, according to Reynolds' own campaign finance filings.

Bob Dohnal, Reynolds disciple and publisher of The Conservative Digest, said the bills were for Reynolds' print shop, not for his home, despite what Reynolds said in his campaign filing (and I don't think you are supposed to fib on those).

The State Democratic Campaign Committee sent out letters to Reynolds' supporters telling them of Reynolds' creative use of their money to heat his home. Reynolds then issued a statement suggesting that the utility payments were for his home, but just for the campaign headquarters part of it:

“The State Senate Democratic Campaign Committee comprised of: Chairperson, Judy Robson, Treasurer, Mark Miller and Executive Director, Matt Swentkowfske published the attached letter. The letter, with actual knowledge of the falsity of the statement, by the authors accuse me of violating state statute by using campaign funds for paying my private utility bills. The letter acknowledges that the authors know of my use of my residential property for my campaign headquarters. However, the authors go on to say that I pay my home utility bill from my campaign account which is a violation of State law. The letter also informs the Reynolds’ supporters that I am using the hard earned money of supporters and contributors to my campaign illegally “to pad Tom Reynolds own pocket.”


Reynolds demanded an immediate retraction and apology. You're going to be waiting a while for that one, Tom.

2 comments:

publius said...

Well, I guess at the end of the day, what Dohnal says is a moot point. He's not paid by the campaign, his name isn't on the ballot, and only would-be insiders know who Dohnal is - certainly not the majority of voters (and no one likes him at that).

Furthermore, the Elections Board - in its infallibility - has stated that what Reynolds did was kosher. It is no different than the IRS saying it is alright to deduct utilities from your taxes if you work from home (as long as it is pro-rated).

One last tid-bit: according to campaign finance law, he has to claim the utilities. You've gotten all the blood you can out of this turnip and at the end of the day, while I hate to admit it, Reynolds is right on this one.

Dohnal said...

Get your attorney Gretchen, liars will pay.